Dangerous and toxic foods for your rabbit

0
60
Dangerous and toxic foods for your rabbit
Dangerous and toxic foods for your rabbit

Your rabbit should avoid swallowing many foods. These can be dangerous for one’s health, even completely toxic. They can be both at once and lead, sometimes, your rabbit until death. We propose you to find a list of prohibited foods for your rabbit.

A little bread or biscuits? It can not hurt your rabbit. On the contrary, it is foods to avoid the very strict diet that must follow your rabbit. This will have the effect, in the best case, to slightly damaging its intestinal flora. At worst, he could die.

  • . Many human foods are not good for your rabbit. You will have to forget any candy like sweets or even cakes of any kind. He must never swallow chocolate, which would destroy his intestinal flora, just like pastries. Sugar, coffee and tea are not good for him. The same goes for milk as well as drinks other than fruit juice (100%) and water.
  • The potato is out of the diet of your rabbit. The alkaloid contains (solanine) is toxic because it is rich in starch. In fact, your rabbit could have severe digestive disorders. The sweet potato is also to be avoided.
  • Garlic and onion are not edible for your rabbit. The latter participates in the destruction of red blood cells of your rabbit. In fact, he may suffer from anemia that could eventually cause him to die.
  • Turnip tops should not be confused with turnips. Only the bulb of the latter is indigestible. On the other hand, the leaves are very good for transit.
  • The effects of the leek are similar to those of the onion. He must be forgotten about his diet, just like mushrooms.
  • The kidneys can suffer from too much sugar in rhubarb, peas, and beans.

If many fruits can be given to the rabbit, some are also to be forgotten because of their contributions or toxicity. This is particularly the case of:

  • The banana which, even if it gives vitamin B1, has too much sugar content. It is difficult to digest for the rabbit.
  • Anyone is not recommended because it is too greasy. It can occasionally be given in very small quantities.
  • The seed contained in the fruit stones also called almonds; it is found in apricot, loquat, plum, and peach. It should in no case be given because it contains cyanide, highly toxic.
  • Avocado contains a toxin, person, which is harmful to many animals including your rabbit.

Toxic plants also

Many plants are toxic to your rabbit and can lead to death. This is the case of plants such as oleander, fern, belladonna, ivy, lily, bay leaf, daffodils, poppy, burdock or even iris, tulip, milkweed, and the lupine. We can include in this list horehound, boxwood, hyacinth, lily of the valley, not to mention popular, philodendron, primrose, fir, elderberry, physalis, holly, and rhododendron.

Aromatic plants are generally good for your rabbit. It will still be necessary to make sure that they have not been treated before.

The ornamental plants that one can have in a house are very predominantly toxic for your rabbit. They must be put out of reach of your rabbit who could chew them without wanting.

Symptoms of food poisoning

If your rabbit has inadvertently swallowed a plant mentioned above or an undesirable food, it will necessarily show symptoms that must be quickly taken care of to treat them as best as possible.

In case you catch your animal eating unwanted food, do not waste time, contact your veterinarian.

Your rabbit can develop liver failure. Food poisoning can lead to pulmonary, cardiac and nervous disorders. Irreparable sequelae can lead to euthanasia if they are not taken in time.

Your rabbit may suffer from diarrhea, muscle contractions, convulsions, loss of balance, sluggishness, and the inability to move. It can also salivate. All these signals must alert you to take him to the nearest veterinarian. This is a vital emergency.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here